Ford extends Geelong Cats Sponsorship through 2020, builds on leading local R&D investment and attempts Guinness World Records™ Title
Thu, Dec 10, 2015
- The extension of Ford’s sponsorship of the Geelong Cats Australian Rules Football League team solidifies the long standing team partnership for a further five years until 2020, leading to a Guinness World Records attempt for the Longest Time to Sponsor a Team
- In 2015 Ford Australia celebrated 90 years since the partnership with the Geelong Cats commenced in 1925, beginning with Ford supporting players with jobs in the local manufacturing operations
- Ford’s ongoing investment in the Geelong Cats comes on top of its ongoing investment in R&D, like Ford’s $300 million in R&D in 2015 and nearly $2 billion in the past six years. Ford is the only company with the capability to design and engineer a vehicle from the ground up in Australia
MELBOURNE– Ford Australia is extending its sponsorship of the Geelong Cats AFL team for five years through 2020 to further extend one of the longest sports team partnerships in the world.
Ford and the Geelong Cats celebrated 90 years of association during the 2015 season, a commitment thought by many to be the longest running sports team partnership in world sport on record. Ford have submitted to formalise this milestone with an attempt to secure the Guinness World Records title for the Longest Time to Sponsor a Sports Team. And with Ford set to be the largest automotive employer in Australia by 2017, the extension to the agreement is further evidence of Ford’s investment in Australian communities.
“Soon after Ford put the world on wheels, Ford of Australia changed sports marketing in Australia when we forged a partnership with the Geelong Cats in 1925 by first offering jobs for the players at our new local operations,” said Graeme Whickman, Ford of Australia President and CEO. “The sponsorship extension comes on top of our ongoing investment in Australia and Geelong, including our advanced Research and Development Centre in Geelong and the You Yangs Proving Grounds near the city that are part of $300 million in R&D investment this year alone.”
Ford’s history in the Geelong community is a source of great pride for the company, and continues to be a key focus for investment in the future of the business. A key partnership between Ford and Geelong’s Deakin University to nurture Australian engineering talent for the future is a core focus. Most recently, the university was one of five universities worldwide invited to take part in the ‘Creating a Ford Model T for this Century University Challenge’.
Additionally, the YouYangs Proving Ground in Lara which celebrated its 50th Anniversary this week is evidence of Ford’s strong engineering credentials, solidifying Ford’s presence in the area for years to come.
“The current Cats team reminds me of the record number of new vehicles we launched this year. Tomahawk is like Ranger as our cornerstone that get the tough jobs done. Selwood and Bartel are like Focus and Fiesta STs with power, speed and nimbleness. And, Dangerfield is like our Mustang – the new addition giving a spark to the entire lineup. We cannot wait to start the season in 2016”.
Several Cats star players recently visited Ford’s You Yang Proving Ground just outside Geelong to put Mustang, other new vehicles and themselves to the test. Click here to watch the video.
The Cats have a packed 2016 season with first bounce of the year taking place at the MCG against old rival Hawthorn on March 28th. Geelong Cats CEO, Brian Cook says the organisation’s partnership with Ford has been crucial to the club’s success over the years.
“There is, and has been, no more enduring relationship and a greater team than Ford Motor Company and the Cats since 1925. Both parties expect this relationship to continue and we are proud to carry the Ford name on our playing jumper.”
Ford’s agreement with the Geelong Cats sees the company continue with the title of sole major sponsor for the team.
The Cats’ deal punctuates a big year for Ford after launching a record number of vehicles as part of its commitment to refresh its entire vehicle line-up in Australia by 2017, and launch 20 new or freshened vehicles by 2020.
The recently launched new vehicles include:
- 2015 Ford Mondeo: The all-new, stylish and technologically advanced Mondeo mid-size sedan arrived early in 2015.
- 2015 Ford Kuga: The newly launched Ford Kuga will be freshened in late 2015 with a new 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine on its high series models.
- 2015 Ford Everest: The Australian designed and engineered Everest is a technologically advanced, stunningly capable and refined seven-seat SUV.
- 2015 Ford Ranger: A freshened version of the tough, capable and Australian-designed Ranger arrived in 2015.
- 2015 Ford Mustang: A legend for its performance and style, the Mustang stays true to its high performance pedigree with a 5.0L V8 engine, as well as an all-new turbocharged 2.3L EcoBoost engine variant. Along with its iconic design, the pony car features a powerful suite of tech features.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global automotive and mobility company based in Dearborn, Mich. With about 187,000 employees and 62 plants worldwide, the company’s core business includes designing, manufacturing, marketing, financing and servicing a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs and electrified vehicles, as well as Lincoln luxury vehicles. At the same time, Ford is aggressively pursuing emerging opportunities through Ford Smart Mobility, the company’s plan to be a leader in connectivity, mobility, autonomous vehicles, the customer experience and data and analytics.
For more information regarding Ford, its products worldwide or Ford Motor Credit Company, visit www.corporate.ford.com.