Ford Owners Get Paid to Park: Ford Forges First-of-its-Kind Local Partnership with Carhood Car Sharing Innovator that Helps Customers Profit from Parking
Tue, Jul 19, 2016
MELBOURNE– Ford and Carhood – the leading airport parking and car sharing service in Australia – today announced the automaker will supply dozens of vehicles for hire at Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney airports alongside cars the smart mobility company’s customers allow for hire in exchange for free parking and a share of rental profits.
Carhood allows people to share their vehicles with other members instead of paying to park them at the airport. Not only does this allow customers to avoid parking costs, but they also have the potential to earn money from it, as well as receiving complementary kerb-side chauffer service and car wash.
“Ford has one foot in today, delivering our core business; and one foot in tomorrow, anticipating the future needs of customers through our Ford Smart Mobility plan,” said Graeme Whickman, CEO and President, Ford Australia. “Our unique partnership with Carhood combines both, allowing people to experience our world-class vehicles while making our customers’ lives better through easier, more affordable airport parking.
“This builds on our leading investment in Australia of $300 million in R&D last year alone and is part of our global plan to use innovation to take the company to the next level in connectivity, mobility, autonomous vehicles, the customer experience and data and analytics.”
As part of the deal, Carhood will offer Ford owners special benefits including 35 per cent revenue share (up from 25 per cent) and a 10 per cent rental discount when renting a Ford vehicle. In turn, Ford will supply Carhood with an expanded fleet of new Ford vehicles spread among the three Carhood airport-adjacent locations (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane) to help Carhood provide this innovative mobility solution for more Australian consumers and travellers.
“We’re excited to be partnering with an iconic, global brand like Ford to expand our offering in Australia,” said Carhood co-founder Steve Johnson. “The collaboration with Ford will help us continue to offer an affordable and convenient solution to a common mobility problem – affordable airport parking.”
Carhood leading car sharing at airports
Carhood is an Australian start-up company – featured in Channel Ten’s Shark Tank in 2016 – that offers members free airport parking and a cut of the proceeds when renting out their vehicle, fully insured, to other approved members. Beyond the financial incentive, the service also provides members complementary kerb-side chauffer service and car wash. The service is currently available at the Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane airports with plans to expand nationwide.To learn more and sign up please visit: www.carhood.com.au.
Ford Smart Mobility: Changing the Way the World Moves
The world is becoming more crowded and urbanized, air quality is a global issue, and customer preferences are changing rapidly. The Ford Smart Mobility plan was established early last year to use technology and innovation to address these trends and to make people’s lives better. Already, significant progress has been made, including:
- Connectivity: Ford is a leader in vehicle connectivity with the popular entertainment and communications system in the industry, Ford SYNC. This year, an all-new, more intuitive SYNC 3 system is being offered on some Ford and Lincoln vehicles. In addition, new SYNC Connect (available in Australia beginning spring 2016) gives owners the ability to remotely access vehicle features, including a remote start, unlocking doors, checking fuel level or locating a parked vehicle on a smartphone. Additionally, SYNC3 offers AppLink, which enables drivers to voice-control smartphone apps from the driver’s seat – allowing drivers to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- Mobility: For the past 14 months, Ford has conducted more than 30 global mobility experiments to gain insight into changing consumer transportation preferences. Several ongoing pilot programs are under way, including: GoPark, which builds a predictive parking system in London capable of directing drivers to streets where they are most likely to find a space; GoDrive, a car sharing program in London that provides vehicles with guaranteed parking at busy locations, such as London City Airport; and Dynamic Shuttle, a program at Ford’s Dearborn, Michigan, campus that allows employees and visitors to summon point-to-point rides on-demand.
- Autonomous Vehicles: Ford this year will have the largest test fleet of autonomous vehicles of any automaker – with vehicles on the road in California, Arizona and Michigan. Ford also is the first to test autonomous vehicles in the snow – a major step in the company’s plan to bring fully autonomous vehicles to millions of customers worldwide. At the same time, Ford is tripling its engineering investment in driver assist and semi-autonomous vehicle technology – such as adaptive cruise control, active park assist, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping aid, pedestrian detection, Pro Trailer Backup Assist and vehicle-to-vehicle connection technology – during the next five years.
- Consumer Experience: Ford this year is introducing FordPass in the U.S. – a free digital, physical and personal platform that offers four benefits for members: a Marketplace with mobility services, such as parking and sharing; FordGuides to help consumers move more efficiently; Appreciation for members to receive recognition for their loyalty; and FordHubs, where consumers can experience Ford’s latest innovations. The first hub opens later this year in New York City.
- Data and Analytics: To better anticipate customer wants and needs, Ford is increasing funding for data science and analytics research as the foundation of the Ford Smart Mobility plan. One example is Ford and IBM collaborating on a pilot platform that allows research scientists to look at tiny pieces of data – 10 or 15 seconds at a time – to spot patterns, correlations and trends, and write code to make more efficient transportation decisions to support the company’s Dynamic Shuttle employee shuttle service experiment at its Dearborn, Mich. headquarters in the U.S.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global automotive and mobility company based in Dearborn, Mich. With about 187,000 employees and 62 plants worldwide, the company’s core business includes designing, manufacturing, marketing, financing and servicing a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs and electrified vehicles, as well as Lincoln luxury vehicles. At the same time, Ford is aggressively pursuing emerging opportunities through Ford Smart Mobility, the company’s plan to be a leader in connectivity, mobility, autonomous vehicles, the customer experience and data and analytics. For more information regarding Ford, its products worldwide or Ford Motor Credit Company, visit www.corporate.ford.com.