Ford’s Leading Investment in Australia Headlined by 257 kW Focus RS Hatch Announcement
Tue, Oct 20, 2015
- Focus RS will be the sixth new performance vehicle in two years as Ford invests to expand its performance line-up, building on the company’s $300 million local R&D work this year alone
- LZ Focus RS an innovative high-performance hatchback that pioneers advanced technologies to deliver the ultimate rally-inspired experience
- Focus RS features ground-breaking new Ford Performance all-wheel-drive with dynamic torque vectoring and selectable drive modes
- Specifically tuned version of 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine developed for Focus RS with comprehensive engineering changes to deliver 257 kW / 440 Nm1 – combined with a powerful braking system with Brembo front callipers
- Dramatic signature exterior design and colour / wheel option offers unique street presence
MELBOURNE– Ford is investing more in Australia than any other automaker, including $300 million in R&D for the country’s only full product development team and even more to expand its line-up further with products such as the new Focus RS.
The high-performance 2016 Focus RS is expected to arrive in Ford dealerships from mid-2016, boasting maximum power of 257 kW / 440 Nm1 from its specially tuned 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine, mated to a sophisticated all-wheel drive system.
“The Focus RS is the latest example of our expanded performance lineup in Australia and showcase of the Ford Performance team’s ambitious spirit that is a halo of our innovation locally and across the company,” according to Ford President and CEO, Graeme Whickman. “It delivers refined power, a high level of technology, advanced Ford Performance all-wheel drive and uncompromised driving dynamics that is true to the spirit of the RS nameplate.
“Delivering a car like the Focus RS is also the result of the enormous R&D investment the brand puts into its vehicles. In Australia alone, we’re investing more than $300 million in R&D this year, bringing our total R & D investment to almost $2 billion over the past six years.”
The Focus RS is the sixth new performance model in two years will sit as the halo performance hatch above the Fiesta ST and Focus ST and builds on a pedigree of driving excellence dating back to the first Ford RS in 1968. Apart from the Fiesta ST and Focus ST, other Ford performance vehicles include the Falcon XR6, Falcon XR8 and soon-to-arrive Mustang GT.
The Focus RS will be pitched into the high-performance hatch segment; with 51 kW more power than the VW Golf R and 36 kW more power than the Subaru WRX STi. As well, the Focus RS is more competitive in price than the Golf R and Renault Megane RS 275 Cup Premium.
Developed by Ford Performance, the Focus RS has a range of cutting-edge Ford technologies and a specifically tuned version of the new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine. In the Focus RS it develops 257 kW @ 6,000 rpm and 44 Nm between 2,000 and 4,500 rpm..
“We are investing and innovating to take on the world’s best vehicles after pulling our various performance groups into the single Ford Performance global team,” says Jamal Hameedi, global chief engineer, Ford Performance. “We are not limiting ourselves to similarly priced vehicles as we now have the singular focus to go after the best just as we are doing with the Ford GT at LeMans and the Focus RS global launch.
“At the same time, we have to deliver on Ford’s mission to bring innovation to the masses, not just a few. So, the Focus RS is not only the most powerful performance hatch but it’s also the most affordable in Australia.”
EcoBoost is at the forefront of the LZ Focus RS and this fuel-efficient technology is shared with more than 80 per cent of Ford Australia’s product line-up.
Visually, the LZ Focus RS has its own unique exterior appearance, which gives the vehicle a more muscular and powerful character. The design has also been optimised around the more extreme functional requirements for the RS, including cooling for the engine and brakes and aerodynamic performance. RS design features include:
- New front fascia and grille, including optimised inlets for engine and brake cooling
- New rear fascia with large diffuser element including twin exhaust outlets
- Optimised front and rear spoilers to deliver balanced aerodynamics, with zero lift front and rear
- Unique 19-inch multi-spoke RS alloy wheels
The interior has a very distinctive RS character with a host of special sporting features and detailing. The unique RS interior features include:
- Signature RS-branded Recaro shell seats, with authentic motorsport micro-fibre fabric panels
- Flat-base sports steering wheel with a soft-feel leather covered rim and RS badging
- Binnacle gauges displaying turbocharger boost pressure, oil temperature and oil pressure
- Satin chrome-topped gear lever
- Alloy foot pedals
- Distinctive blue RS stitching on the seats, steering wheel, floor mats and interior trim, the coloured graphic on the gear shifter, and RS logo on the seats, steering wheel and door scuff plates
- SYNC™ 2 offers customers the benefit of a voice control system that enables them to control their phone, navigation, audio and media inputs and climate control by simple intuitive voice commands or via a large 8-inch high-resolution touchscreen
The new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine for the all-new Focus RS shares its fundamental structure with the all-aluminium four-cylinder engine in the all-new Ford Mustang.
The specially tuned 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine has been engineered specifically for the Focus RS, including a new low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger with larger compressor that delivers significantly greater air flow, along with a much bigger intercooler. Peak turbocharger boost is 23.2 psi.
Engine breathing also is enhanced through a less restrictive intake design, and a large-bore high-performance exhaust system with an electronically controlled valve in the tailpipe that helps optimise the balance of back pressure and noise output.
The cylinder head is produced from an upgraded alloy material capable of withstanding higher temperatures, while the cylinder block employs stronger high-tensile cast iron liners.
Engine cooling also has been given the highest priority, with engineers creating additional space within the front of the vehicle to house a significantly larger radiator pack – the biggest ever fitted to a Focus – which provides the level of cooling demanded for intense circuit driving.
Meticulous calibration work has ensured that the power unit delivers excellent low-end responsiveness with a powerful mid-range pull. In its European state of tune, maximum torque of 440 Nm is delivered between 1,600 and 5,000 rpm, with 470 Nm available for up to 15 seconds on transient overboost.
Inspiring performance demands an inspiring soundtrack. Ford Performance engineers have tuned the RS to deliver a rewarding and sporty sound character during spirited driving, with the distinctive burbles and pops that are a RS signature.
The table below outlines the engine/transmission details:
|Focus RS 2.3-litre EcoBoost|
|Maximum Power||257 kW @ 6,000 rpm|
|Maximum Torque||440 Nm @ 2,000-4,500 rpm|
|Recommended Fuel||95-98 RON|
|Fuel Economy||.1 litres/100km|
|Kerb weight||1,575 kg|
|Tare mass||1,543 kg|
|Fuel Tank||52.6 litres|
- 2.3-litre EcoBoost (exclusive RS high-performance version)
- Auto-Stop start technology standard
- Stall Recovery
- All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) system with launch control
- Drive modes – including industry-first ‘drift mode’
- RS tuned driver selectable sport suspension with adjustable dampers
- 5-door bodystyle
- Unique RS bodykit / fascia
- 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels
- Bi-Xenon HID with LED DTRL
- Keyless entry
- Thatcham alarm
- Recaro-branded shell seats – Partial leather / Micro-fibre fabric panels
- SYNC2 with Emergency Assistance
- High-resolution 8-inch high resolution colour touch screen
- Bluetooth with audio streaming
- Natural language Voice Control for phone, music, climate and navigation controls
- Satellite Navigation with ‘One Shot’ destination entry via Voice Control
- 9-speaker audio
- USB & RCA inputs
- Rearview camera
- Dual-zone climate control
- Push button start
- Cruise Control with speed limiter
The following option is available with the LZ Focus RS:
PERFORMANCE WHEEL PACK
The wheels and tyres in this optional pack are designed to improve the Focus RS on track performance while still being suitable for every day road use.
- 19-inch forged alloys
- High-performance lightweight design
- Low gloss black colour
- Enhanced strength & impact resistance
- Weight saving
- 235/35 R19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
- Enhanced performance in dry and wet track conditions
Four exterior colours are available on the Focus RS, with Nitrous* being the feature colour in the Australian market. Other colours are White, Magnetic and Shadow Black.
*Power figures measured using premium fuel (95RON).
**Note: Figures obtained from controlled tests using ADR 81/02.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Michigan, manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 194,000 employees and 66 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.