Standardizing SYNC™2, Dual Zone Climate Control in Hot-Selling Ford Kuga Ambiente Widens Innovation Gap to Other Popular Compact SUVs
Tue, May 10, 2016
- The freshened 2016 Ford Kuga Ambiente arriving in dealerships now adds standard SYNC™ 2 with voice-controlled satellite navigation, wide-angle reverse camera to help give drivers more confidence with another view behind the vehicle and dual-zone climate control so driver and passenger can set their preferred temperatures
- Across the Ford Kuga range, sales have increased 40 percent in the first quarter of 2016 compared to the same period in 2015 – nearly triple the compact SUV segment’s growth – as Australians increasingly turn to utility vehicles
- Ford’s entry compact SUV has innovative features that are not available in the five top-selling competitors, including the largest colour touch screen of the group and satellite navigation whilst maintaining an attractive price
Melbourne– The freshened Ford Kuga Ambiente arriving in dealerships features even more even more standard innovations, including SYNC™ 2 with voice-controlled satellite navigation and dual zone climate control, with the features now available across the range. Ford Kuga sales have increased 40 percent in the first quarter to outpace others in the segment and as Australians lead the world trend toward utility vehicles.
The 2016 Ford Kuga delivers a suite of technologies, driver assist features and fuel efficiency which makes it one of the most innovative small SUVs on the road and a great choice for families who want to stay connected on-the-go. It offers family friendly technology upgrades including 8” Colour Touch Screen, DAB+Digital Radio, Satellite Navigation and Climate Control which are not available in five key competitor models.
“Ford has made technology available to millions ever since the Model T,” said Graeme Whickman, President and CEO, Ford of Australia. “The Ford Kuga continues in that tradition, even with the entry level Ambiente model that now will offer SYNC™2, dual climate control, sat nav and reverse camera as standard features.
“We believe it is perfect for young families that are increasingly choosing compact SUVs, the fastest-growing part of the hot SUV market with Ford Kuga one of the top performers this year even before these upgrades.”
Say your way
The Ford Kuga Ambiente will now also be available with Ford’s SYNC™2 connectivity technology already found in the Trend and Titanium models. From April, the Ambiente model receives the following content upgrades:
- SYNC2 – Keeps drivers connected while their hands stay safely on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Simple voice commands help make calls, play music, adjust the interior climate and even have text messages read aloud*. System is accompanied by a high resolution 8-inch colour touchscreen, two USB ports and Bluetooth® connectivity.
- Embedded satellite navigation with traffic monitoring – Voice-controlled satellite navigation lets drivers say where they want to go, without having to stop and manually enter destinations. Traffic Message Channel delivers real-time traffic and travel information to help plan routes to avoid delays.
- Updated 4.2” colour multi-function display – Situated in your instrument cluster, this colour screen provides quick access to SYNC™2 and vehicle information. You can view turn-by-turn instructions from the satellite navigation, and scroll through trip and fuel efficiency information using the steering wheel buttons.
- Rear view camera – Can help drivers more confidently reverse by displaying a live feed from the rear of the vehicle.
- Dual-zone climate control with rear air vents – Dual-zone climate control allows both driver and passenger to choose their preferred heating and cooling settings while rear air vents help back-seat passengers stay comfortable.
“From the time you get in and see the 8-inch touchscreen – which is 40 percent bigger than some competitors – you get the sense Ford Kuga Ambiente offers a lot for the money,” said Whickman. “That’s like walking into a home and seeing a 75-inch TV when most others have 50-inch models – it sets expectations higher.
“And, like smart TV shoppers, customers will find Ford Kuga Ambiente offers real value when our top-selling competitors cannot match these innovations.”
These updates follow other recent upgrades such as Reverse Camera and DAB+ radio introduced to Ambiente in November 2015.
The Ford Kuga is smart and fuel efficient
The Ford Kuga Intelligent Protection System incorporates some of the most advanced safety features available to help protect young families.
The Ford Kuga IPS includes:
- Driver and front passenger airbags
- Driver and front passenger side thorax and pelvis airbags
- Side curtain airbags for front and rear seats
- Side curtain airbags for front and rear seats
- Collapsible steering column and pedals for optimised protection of driver’s legs and feet
- Robust computer-optimised body structure with ultra-rigid safety cell and crumple zones
- Pre-tensioners, load-limiting retractors and height-adjustable mounts on front seat belts
- Anti-submarining seat bases
- ISOFIX fixing points for child seats on rear outer seats
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), Emergency Brake Assist (EBA), Trailer Sway Control and Rollover Mitigation
- Emergency brake lights – automatic flashing of brake lights under heavy braking
Ford Kuga is available with six-speed manual and six-speed automatic transmissions and choice of EcoBoost petrol and optional 2.0-litre TDCi diesel powertrains.
The Ford Kuga’s state-of-the-art EcoBoost engine technology delivers small engine fuel economy and big engine power in one+. It also helps to deliver up to 20 per cent better fuel economy than larger displacement engines, helping Aussies families save at the fuel pump.
Ford’s 1.5-litre EcoBoost petrol engine is available in two states of tune for the front and all-wheel drive Ford Kuga Ambiente. The Ford Kuga Ambiente front-wheel drive develops 110 kW / 240 Nm while the all-wheel drive develops 134 kW / 240 Nm. A higher performance 2.0-litre GTDi petrol engine powers the Trend and Titanium all-wheel drive models, developing 178 kW / 345 Nm ^.
+Petrol power and torque figures measured using premium unleaded fuel (95-98 RON)
^Trend and Titanium models only
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Michigan, manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 197,000 employees and 67 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.