Mustang Mania: Unprecedented early demand includes 2,000 customers who have paid deposits months before launch
Mon, May 25, 2015
- Ford’s iconic Mustang continues to generate unprecedented interest with more than 2,000 customers paying deposits well before the car launches in late 2015
- Ford engineers have been testing left-hand-drive versions of the car at the company’s Lara Proving Ground, near Geelong – part of the company’s leading local R&D investment of $300 million in 2015 and nearly $2 billion over the past six year
- The Mustang features Ford’s iconic GT model with V8 power, proven EcoBoost technology that combines power and efficiency, SYNC2 infotainment system and advanced safety and driver-assist features
- Performance Pack Features confirmed for all EcoBoost and GT models
Melbourne– More than 2,000 Ford customers have now placed deposits for the highly anticipated Mustang Fastback and Convertible, which are being ordered in both the muscle car’s legendary V8 performance version and the first-ever EcoBoost engine that will provide the power of a bigger engine in a smaller, more efficient package.
Not surprisingly, auto enthusiasts are lining up to be the first in line as the overwhelming choice has been for the Mustang GT automatic Fastback 5.0-litre V8 engine model, which currently makes up to 42 per cent of total orders.
“We are so excited to launch Mustang in Australia and see how people respond to its iconic, magical looks and performance,” said Graeme Whickman, President and CEO, Ford of Australia. “Just like in America, we are seeing great early demand for the V8 GT models. But, we think the EcoBoost model will be a bigger seller longer term and help sustain sales longer than most performance cars as people see its great combination of performance and fuel economy.”
Interest has been high for the car for months so Ford launched a first-of-its-kind early dealer ordering system as the company recently confirmed pricing, specifications and colour options. Indeed, orders started to flood into dealerships across the country with paid deposits well before the car launches later this year.
Several Mustang enthusiasts, including members of the various State-based Mustang clubs, have also ordered more than one variant of the famous car. One customer has six orders to his name while a sportscar rental company has placed an order for 20, the biggest single order so far.
“The buyer response for the 2015 Ford Mustang has been extraordinary,” said David Blackwood, Dealer Principal of the Bayford Group in Victoria.
“As soon as Ford announced Mustang was coming to Australia (in December 2013) our phones started ringing. A few customers even made deposits before pricing and specifications were confirmed. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. And, it’s opened doors for us to have conversations with potential owners about the broader Ford range, like our first-class SUV line-up, as well.”
Australian customers overwhelmingly have favoured Race Red as the most popular colour choice, followed up Absolute Black and Magnetic.
Ford also confirmed the Performance Pack will come standard for all Mustang models. This package includes “K Brace” under the bonnet to secure the suspension strut towers to the bulkhead; unique chassis tuning; upsized rear sway bar on the Fastback and heavy duty front springs.
Performance Pack Features
- K Brace
- Unique Chassis Tuning
- Upsized Rear Sway Bar (Fastback)
- Heavy Duty Front Springs
- 3.55 Limited slip rear differential for Automatic transmission
- 3.31 Limited slip rear differential for Manual transmission
- 19 x 9 inch Ebony Black Painted Alloy Wheels 255/40 R19
- 3.55 Limited slip rear differential
- Front – 19 x 9 inch Ebony Black Painted Alloy Wheels 255/40 R19
- Rear – 19 x 9.5 inch Ebony Black Painted Alloy Wheels 275/40 R19
Visually, the all-new Mustang is unmistakable in its clean-sheet design. It has kept its classic shape, with a long sculpted hood and short rear deck, but with contemporary changes.
Several key design features define the new Ford Mustang, including:
- A low roof height and wide stance
- Sleek profile enabled by steeply sloped windscreen and rear glass
- Three-dimensional, tri-bar tail-lamps
- Contemporary execution of the iconic car’s signature trapezoidal grille and shark-bite front fascia
Alongside those enthusiasts who have already ordered their car, more than 20,000 Australians have put up their hands to be kept informed by Ford on any material that comes out surrounding the release of the iconic Pony car.
The enthusiasm for the Mustang in Australia mirrors what has occurred globally. As the range is rolled out in other markets, customers are queueing to get their hands on the iconic car.
New Product Onslaught
The arrival of the Mustang in Australia heralds the final instalment of the revamped Ford vehicle portfolio in Australia. 2015 marks the busiest time for new Ford vehicles, with the arrival of the all-new Mondeo and refreshed Focus ST earlier this year.
These arrivals will be followed by the 2015 Ranger pickup, eagerly anticipated Everest SUV and refreshed Focus range; with the all-new Mustang rounding out the year.
Ford engineers have been testing left-hand-drive versions of the Mustang at the company’s proving ground in Lara near Geelong. This is part of Ford’s unique and ongoing investment in Australia.
In 2015 alone Ford is investing more than $300 million in Australian research and development, bringing total investment to $2 billion over the past six years. Post-2017 Ford will become Australia’s largest automotive employer, with a 1,500-strong workforce across the National Sales Company, product development and design.
Also key to this on-going work is Ford’s design and engineering centres in Campbellfield and advanced Research and Development Centre in Geelong.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Michigan, manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 194,000 employees and 66 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.